The Radcliffe Trust
The Radcliffe Trust was established in 1714 as a charitable trust under the will of Dr. John Radcliffe, the most eminent physician of his day. The will provided for a permanent endowment, the income from which is used exclusively for charitable purposes.
By his will, Dr. Radcliffe directed his Trustees to spend £40,000 on building a library, and today the Radcliffe Camera is one of Oxford's architectural glories. The Trustees subsequently built two other important Oxford landmarks, the Radcliffe Observatory and the Radcliffe Infirmary, precursor of the modern John Radcliffe Hospital. In 1970 the agricultural holdings which Dr. Radcliffe had bought in 1713 were acquired to become the new town of Milton Keynes, leaving the Trustees with a substantial endowment and increased income.
Today the Trust has a policy of making grants principally in two sectors: Music and Heritage & Crafts.
During the year ended 31 March 2013 the Trustees made 51 grants totalling £187,419
The majority of grants are one-off payments or recurrent annual grants over a two- to three-year period.
Some grants are made on the Trustees' own initiative but the majority are made in response to applications.
To find out more about how to apply for funding from the Radcliffe Trust go to guidelines.
To see examples of previous grants, please look at the Radcliffe Trust's accounts on the charity commission website.
Sir Henry Aubrey-Fletcher Bt JP
Lord Balfour of Burleigh FIEE
Christopher Butcher QC
Mary Ann Sieghart
Felix Warnock (Chairman)
Charity Number 209212